Has creativity been calling you? Perhaps you’re interested in creating mixed media art, zen tangles, collage, watercolours… maybe beginning an art journal of your own? I encourage you to try all of the above and them mix them up… there are no rules, remember.
I’ve experimented with and purchased more art supplies than my husband cares to count. Many people ask me, ‘what pen/paint/paper/fill-in-the-blank do you use when you do __?’ Because I get so excited when you connect with your creative spirit, going from “I could never do that” to “let me try it,” I’ve compiled a list of my favourite art supplies below. These are simply things I’ve used that I love and find give me great results. As a rule, I’ve never been disappointed in paying for quality supplies because I find they do indeed give you quality results.
- Golden Gel Matte Medium I use this as both a glue and sealant in mixed media.
- Omiyage A wonderful Canadian store full of gorgeous paper products including affordable, authentic washi tape that sticks the way it’s supposed to.
- Tombow Mono Adhesive
Books & Journals
- Faber-Castell Gelatos A cross between a water colour crayon and a pastel, these creamy pigment sticks are very versatile and well suited to many art mediums. And they are really fun to use!
- Neo Colour II Artists’ Crayons The best price I’ve find anywhere.
Paint & Ink
- Dylusions Ink Sprays
- Faber-Castell Artist Pens This is one of my favourite brands. The highly pigmented India Ink is waterproof and comes in a variety of nib sizes and colours.
- Golden Paints A premium brand that makes it wonderful for mixed-media and writing on top of these paints don’t gum up your pens!
- Nicholson’s Peerless Transparent Watercolors
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pens
- Tim Holtz Distress Paint
- Zig Real Color Clean Brush Pens
Paper – Artist Grade
- Marker Paper
- Watercolor Paper – Hot Press This is my favourite paper for making my own journals. Folds beautifully, doesn’t rip or crack, minimal curling. Bliss to letter on.
Paper – Decorative
- My Mind’s Eye
- Shizen Design
- Postcard Happiness This Etsy shop sells the cutest blank postcards backed with adhesive so you can turn photos, artwork, heck, any paper you can lay your hands on, into cool snail mail.
- Artline Drawing Pens
- Pilot Hi-Tec C Gel Ink Pen
- Platinum Carbon Desk Fountain Pen
- Zebra Double-Sided Brush Pen
- Cutterbees (for cutting tiny details)
- Dahle Professional Paper Scissors (my favourite, go-to pair for paper only)
- Tim Holtz Non Stick Serrated Snip Scissors (heavy duty for thicker stuff)
SHOPS: Bricks & Mortar
Because of the limited resources in my hometown, I tend to do a lot of my artsy shopping online, but these awesome bricks & mortar stores are where I go whenever I’m in their neighbourhood!
- Bijan’s Art Studio (London, ON)
- Blowe’s Stationery (Stratford, ON)
- Hollanders (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Wyndham Art Supplies (Guelph, ON)
- Currys (London, ON)
- The Owl and the Pussycat (Fort Myers, ON)
- The Art House (Cambridge, ON)
- TJ Maxx (USA) & Homesense (Canada) – They have a small, but usually good, selection of discounted art & craft supplies.
- Artist & Craftsman Supply This company is such a pleasure to work with. Top-notch customer service & discounted prices.
- Dick Blick Art Materials Huge assortment of fine art supplies at (usually) discounted prices.
- eclectic papery Wonderful selection of higher end paper crafting supplies.
- JetPens Mainly pens that you won’t find anywhere else. Love. This. Store.
- joann fabric and craft stores Some great brands here, esp. when you find them on sale!
- joggles 15% off everything, all the time! A great selection of high-end brands.
- Simon Says Stamp Expensive, but a wide selection of paper crafting supplies.